Twenty-three students from across Years 7-12 have registered for the 2018 ASX Schools Sharemarket Game which started on Thursday 8th March. This is a national competition to teach students about investing and the Sharemarket.
Over the last 3-4 weeks students have been learning about investing and how the Sharemarket works, and will now be able to put this into practice by playing the Sharemarket Game. Students receive a virtual $50,000 which they can invest over a 10 week period, in 220 companies listed on the ASX (Australian Stock Exchange). The prices students buy and sell at are the same rate they would receive in the live market so this is as close to real life share trading as you can get.
As a result of playing the Game students will:
- develop their knowledge of the sharemarket
- learn how to research companies
- discover the importance of wise investment decisions
- gain a greater knowledge of economic and world events
- begin to learn more about investing which is beneficial for their future
The students have been very keen to get started, and as a bonus they are in the running to win some great cash prizes.
Mrs Louise Ratcliffe – Business and Humanities Teacher